General Help - FAQs
- What is MyIdentifiers.com?
- What is the purpose of an ISBN?
- Why should I register with MyIdentifiers.com?
- What do I do if I am a new publisher or self-publisher?
- How can I get a bar code I ordered?
- What is the difference between the Standard Package and the Premium Package?
- What is the price-add on?
- What if I don't want to set a price on my barcode?
- I already send my information in an Excel or ONIX file. How can MyIdentifiers.com help me?
- If all of my company information is in your Books In Print database, do I need to resubmit it into MyIdentifiers.com?
- Where can I get bar codes?
- What do I do if I cannot find the answer to my question(s) in the FAQs?
- What do I do when I receive an error message?
- How do I register?
- I am a distributor. May I register in MyIdentifiers.com to update or add titles for publishers that I distribute for?
- When I log in to MyIdentifiers.com and click on a link, I am returned to the Login Screen. Why does this happen?
- I have lost my Password to MyIdentifiers.com. How can I retrieve it?
- When I export my ISBNs, the CSV file I received listed each of the ten as "9.78098E+12", why?
MyIdentifiers.com provides publishers with tools and resources to purchase and assign book identifiers such as ISBNs, SANs, DOIs and others available through Identifier Services. MyIdentifiers.com provides a host of discoverability services and solutions for publishers including automated tools to update or add to their title listings in Bowker's Books In Print databases.
The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher and is unique to that edition, allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries, universities, wholesalers and distributor.
MyIdentifiers.com allows you to easily organize, communicate and market your book titles and optimize their discovery among a wide audience of book, audio and video buyers. Bowker is the leading provider of bibliographic data and your titles are exposed to many facets of the book industry through this single web application.
If you intend to sell in bookstores, on Amazon and other online stores or place your book in libraries, you will be required to have an ISBN. At myidentifiers.com:
- Buy one or more ISBNs, assigned instantly.
- At Checkout, create an account by telling us your contact information so bookstores and libraries can contact you. If you do not have a company name, please enter your personal name in the company name field.
- When your book is completed, please tell us about how you've used the ISBN by logging into myidentifiers.com and pressing MY ACCOUNT. Double click on the ISBN and complete the registration form.
Login and press MY ACCOUNT. Double click on the ISBN and press Generate. Enter the book's retail price and then the bar code will be made. Press Download to Save the bar code file to your computer. Do not open the bar code and do not change its format.
The Bookland EAN bar code displays a set of two bar codes side by side. The first bar code on the left is the EAN derived from the ISBN. The bar code of the right, which is smaller, is a 5-digit add-on which often encodes the retail price of the publication. This is referred to as an EAN-5. You must provide a retail price for your bar code. In the US, the first digit of the add-on data indicates which currency the price is expressed in -- so for US dollars, the designated digit is a 5. So an add-on of 51995 indicates a price of US$ 19.95. However, the largest US retailers such as Barnes and Noble now require the use of EAN-5 bar code on books they handle. Scanners in American bookstores cannot read the Bookland EAN code without the corresponding 5-digit add-on. Publishers who don't comply with this requirement may be penalized.
What if I don't want to set a price on my barcode?
The Universal Product Code barcode standard requires a price for every barcode. If you do not wish to set a price you must enter $0.00.
If you supply title information to Bowker in Excel or ONIX format, you can use MyIdentifiers.com to access your listings, check titles, or make up-to-the-minute changes. You can do this online, and you will not need to create a new file or send a full update. Urgent changes to status, price, or title information can be made immediately. (Just ensure that the change also appears in your next file to Bowker, so we don't overwrite your work with incorrect information.) The My Identifiers Dashboard can also be used to enrich your title listings with cover images and descriptions â€¦ all at the click of a button! In addition, stay connected to book buyers, librarians, and Bowkerâ€™s retail customers by updating your company information in MyIdentifiers.com. You can add website and e-mail information, update your list of distributed clients, or provide contact information to our customers. MyIdentifiers.com allows you to update or enhance this information at your convenience.
If all of my company information is in your Books In Print database, do I need to resubmit it into MyIdentifiers.com?
No, you will not need to resubmit your information. MyIdentifiers.com is a system used to view, add, or update the information in our Books In Print database.
Where can I get bar codes?
Our bar code service is simple, easy-to-use and especially helpful to smaller publishers. You can create and download the bar codes you need, when you need them. Bowker can also provide advice regarding price add-ons, formats, and other bar code-related questions. To visit the bar code information page click here.
What do I do if I cannot find the answer to my question(s) in the FAQs?
For questions related specifically to MyIdentifiers.com, please e-mail email@example.com
What do I do when I receive an error message?
Notify our technical support staff by phoning 888-269-5372 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Technical Support is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm EST. To ensure that your issue is researched thoroughly, please be sure to tell us what kind of computer you have, what kind of browser you're using, the exact error message, and any steps you've already taken to resolve the problem.
How do I register?
Simply follow these directions
- Go to the MyIdentifiers.com home page, click on the "Create An Account" button at the top of the home page.
- If you have ever purchased an ISBN or other identifier directly through Bowker (including www.ISBN.org) you are probably in our system already. Enter the information requested in order for our system to search for your account. You will have to revise your account information, including your current e-mail address (which will be your username) and specify a new password.
- If you have never purchased an ISBN or other identifiers directly thru Bowker you will need to register for a new account. (NOTE: this also includes publishers that have self published through a website such as CreateSpace.com or Lulu.com where you have agreed to let that website assign you an ISBN from their blocks. You will need to create a new account in your name.
You will be asked to provide the following details on the initial screen:
- First and Last Name
- Full address
- Your E-mail Address (will be your username for future access)
- Organization Name
- Full organization address
- Choose an organization type
- Assign a password
- Be sure to read the Statement of Use and click the "I Agree-Create My Account" button to complete your registration.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation message with the details of your registration.
You will be able to update your profile and organization profile within the My Identifiers Dashboard at any time. If you are having trouble creating an account, e-mail us at ISBN-SAN@bowker.com or call toll-free 1-877-310-7333 and a technical support specialist can assist you.
I am a distributor. May I register in MyIdentifiers.com to update or add titles for publishers that I distribute for?
Not yet. Only publishers can view, update or add titles. If you would like to provide this information on behalf of your publishers, please contact their MyIdentifiers.com administrator. Administrators can add usernames and passwords and, therefore, provide you access to their title records.
When I log in to MyIdentifiers.com and click on a link, I am returned to the Login Screen. Why does this happen?
MyIdentifiers.com requires that Cookies be activated. The steps required to enable cookies on your particular web browser will vary depending on which browser and which browser version you're using. Consult your browser's help documentation to learn how to enable your cookies.
I have lost my Password to MyIdentifiers.com. How can I retrieve it?
Click on the forgot password link, enter your e-mail address in the text field, and click submit to receive a copy of your password via email.
When I export my ISBNs, the CSV file I received listed each of the ten as "9.78098E+12", why?
Your copy of Excel is opening the file up using the GENERAL format.
To change, highlight the entire column, right click on your mouse or track-pad, and select Format Cells. In the dialog box which opens up, select the Number tab, highlight Number in the Category column, and click OK.